Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Ethics

Oddly enough, I am convinced, that my English class this semester has been turned into an ethics class(thanks to my professor). I thought I was taking a required freshmen English class where I expected to write a few papers and dabble in the writings of Shakespeare, Jane Austen, or Hemingway. The standard focus texts in most English classes, right? instead I'm learning about plagiarism, internet hacking, and other unethical behavior. I am not complaining at all. However, I was not looking forward to re-arranging my schedule and "wasting" an extra quarter tank driving up to Fullerton and back on Monday nights. For an English class, I love English,but somehow this just did not seem to be worth all the effort. After three hour class #1, I seriously considered dropping it. If it wasn't for the stupid "good student" insurance deal that I have going on, which requires me to go to school full time, I just may have.


I am so thankful for all the reasons that kept me coming back on Monday nights. I have learned so much, and really love the class. Like I said, my pseudo-English class has turned into a class where we are taught the value of ethics. I love it. The biggest eye opener for me, occurred while writing an in class essay on the long term effects of plagiarism on students, the business world and American culture(The makings of a great thesis). It became clear to me that the ethics and practices we develop during our years as students or young adults, carry over into our professional lives as we advance. It is so easy to cheat in high school and college, especially with all the pressures that surround student life. Students often view plagiarism as the only way to meet the high demands put on them by professors and academic programs. In my opinion, the way one behaves under pressure is a good indicator of his/her morals and ethics. It is easy to explain away plagiarism or other mild forms of cheating in school with excuses like "I was going to fail, if I didn't cheat". However, these excuses are less believable coming from the architect who fudged the numbers when building your home, or the doctor who fabricated lab results while conducting a test on a new medication(Ethics in the 21st Century: Trent). The consequences may seem minimal for cutting corners in school--but when those ethics(or lack there of) are used in the professional world the consequences are greater. Due to that architect's unethical decision, your home may not be structurally sound. The people who receive that medication, where the doctor made up results, could be seriously harmed. Our actions lead to consequences, the ethics we develop now when the decisions are smaller and pressures less ominous, will inevitably follow us through out our lives. Guiding and determining the decisions we will make in the future.

All that to say, make ethical decisions now. Develop ethics that are honorable and will guide you towards the right choices in the future.

No comments: